Thank you for attending the Phonics workshop on 16th October. Hopefully this will help you to support your child at home. Below is a link for Oxford Owl, to help you remember how to say the sounds. Also, a magic pencil activity which we use during phonics and games to play at home.
Green phonics books have been sent home and are in the order of when we teach these set 1 sounds.
The red words we have taught so far are I, to, the, no, go, and into.
Here are a few reminders of terminology...
- Fred fingers (hold up the number of fingers to represent the sounds in a word. special friends count as one sound)
- Fred talk (Fred frog only understands pure sounds...mmm not muh)
- Blending (we use magnetic boards or phoneme cards to help segment and blend a word)
- Line leaders (m-a-t ...m is the line leader)
- Pre-cursive (We write in this style and we say "here we go" for the lead in, then the phrase, then lead out)
- Green words (words we can sound out using Fred Talk)
- Red words (tricky words which we need to memorise)